Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Beer:  Torpedo Extra IPA (TEI)

Brewery:  Sierra Nevada

Date:  March 7th, 2014

Style:  IPA

ABV:  7.2%

Description:
Though it's been almost 20 years, I can still remember my first Sierra Nevada beer quite clearly.  I'd just returned from a semester abroad in France, the greatest parts of which were spent playing soccer and enjoying rather heroic amounts of European beer.  What I recall about that Sierra Nevada was how distinct it was from anything else I'd had for the last several months, which ran the gamut from lagers like Kronenbourg 1664, to Trappists like Chimay and Westmalle, to a whole slew of lambics, including St. Louis and Mort Subite.  What stood out for me about that Pale Ale, was its intense mixture of piney hops and tangy citrus, which I'd never before tasted (or smelled) in that combination.  It's with that memorable first experience (and several subsequent positive ones) in mind, that I turn to reviewing my current favorite Sierra Nevada beer, Torpedo.

First Impression:
Golden body with a 2 finger foamy head, with good retention.

Smell:
Floral hops with a sharp citrus aroma. 

Taste:
Profoundly hoppy from start to finish, underscored by a tart citrus zing.  Mildly sweet maltiness in the background.  The citrus and malts really complement and help to balance out the rather staggeringly hoppy character.

On the Palate:
Smooth with a moderately rich mouthfeel. Mildly carbonated.


Why You'll like It:
Perfect for hop lovers looking for a strong IPA with more than just a big dose of bitterness.


Rating (out of 5):



No comments:

Post a Comment