Saturday, December 21, 2013

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2013


Mmmm, Beer in a Jar.
Beer:  Bourbon County Stout - 2013 (BCS)

Brewery:  Goose Island

Date:  December 13th, 2013

Style:  Imperial Stout

ABV:  14.5%

Similar To:  New Holland Dragon's Milk, Founders Breakfast Stout


Author's Note:
In the interest of full disclosure, my sense of smell and taste are still feeling the lingering effects of my recent illness, and may not be as reliable or at least as consistent as usual.  I reserve every right to update this (or any other) review at a later date, based on subsequent tastings.

Description:
What started out as a Friday lunch date with coworkers, planned weeks ahead of time, gradually turned into lunch with one coworker, and finally ended up as lunch by myself.  Hardly a reason for self-pity, rather an unexpected simplification of the whole process. Sticking to my original plan of visiting one of my favorite BBQ spots, I hopped on what passes in Chicago for mass transit and little more than 20 minutes later I was staring down my quarry:  Goose Island's 2013 rendition of their Bourbon County Stout.

The crowd was sparse when I came in but soon picked up. A young man of Arabic or possibly Indian descent and his father(?) were engaged in a lively conversation at the table directly ahead of me.  To my far right, a late 20 something couple, she - pretty, if somewhat severe, he - annoyingly unkempt in his Jerseylicious hat and scraggly, close cropped beard.  The back tables were occupied by a group of clean cut, casual male coworkers, conversing animatedly while chowing down on sandwiches and fries covered in a sweet and tangy "dirt" rub.  To my immediate right, four 30 something women ordered drinks while browsing the menu. Snippets of talk about wedding showers and gossip about absent friends drifted over to me carried along on the background hum of conversation.  They were truly a made-for-Hollywood quartet, two white (one blonde), one Hispanic, one Indian, all with strong Midwestern accents.


First Impression:
Dark, dark brown body with with minimal brown head around the edges.  Very appealing for a cold (2 degree) winter lunchtime.

Smell:
Bourbon or single malt scotch very prevalent. Slight sweetness but a strong hint of something herbal in the background. Licorice?  
An all too infrequent Sight these Days

Taste:
Big and aggressive, greets you at the door with a hearty handshake and a slap on the back. Powerful bourbon and brown sugar with a prominent alcohol taste.

On the Palate:
Heavy but not viscous.  Light carbonation after sitting on the tongue for a moment.

Why You'll like It:
If bold Imperial Stouts are your thing, this one is unlikely to disappoint.  A very effective winter warmer, even in a 6 oz pour.

...and why You won't:
If powerful, complex tastes and high ABVs are not your thing, you may want to politely decline this one.


In Closing...:
My lunch plans having gone belly up, I made the trip out specifically in the hopes of finding the BCS on tap today, since its popularity makes it almost impossible to find in bottles at the moment.  I was a bit disappointed in the final result, but that may be a combination of my still-limited senses and its my anticipation due to its current elusiveness.  A very flavorful and complex beer that encourages further study.


Rating: 3.5 Stars (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment