Friday, December 13, 2013

Founders Backwoods Bastard



The Object of my Affection
(with Mrs. Beer also pictured 

n the Background)
Beer:  Backwoods Bastard (BWB)

Brewery:  Founders

Date:  November 17th, 2013

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

ABV: 10.2%

Similar To: Bells Eccentric Ale, Three Floyds Robert the Bruce

Description:
The search for a great beer can be both delightful and exasperating.  I've gotten geared up to try a well-reviewed beer only to find that I was disappointed by some part of the experience, whether it was the taste, the odor, or even the setting in which I drank it.  Does it make me fickle to base my enjoyment on more than just a beer's own merits?  Maybe, but I'm comfortable with that.  If I try a previously reviewed beer again and find that my opinion of it has changed, then I'll update that review accordingly. On the positive side, this review isn't about disappointment, it's about finding a beer that I've been looking for, completely by accident.  

Mrs. Beer and I had taken a night away to enjoy a couple of drinks out, followed by a quiet dinner at a local BBQ staple, whose cheesy grits must be experienced to be believed.  We arrived fairly late and since it was Mrs B's first time, we ordered a pretty broad swath of the menu and sent the waitress scurrying away to fetch appetizers.  Since we knew the tri-tip would take a while and our restaurant carries an impressively diverse range of drafts listed on a chalkboard above their cozy bar, we decided to order a final pre-dinner drink.  Mrs B. picked a local draft and I was about to do the same, when almost as an afterthought, I decided to peruse the list of bottles.  I can only thank whatever impulse it was that drove me to it, because buried in the middle was the subject of this post:  Founders Backwoods Bastard.

Despite the basket of fried pickles that showed up in the meantime, the 5 or so minutes between when the waitress took our drink order and when they arrived may have been the longest of my sober life.  Until I saw the bottle on the table in front of me, I was waiting for her to tell me that they were out, as has happened frustratingly frequently with beers I've ordered this year.

First Impression: 
I love the artwork.  I can't tell you the number of times that either a beer's label or its description have swayed me into trying it, only to find that "bold hoppiness", "intense floral aroma", or "rich caramel overtones" all translate to "another ****ing dime a dozen IPA" in plain English.  Despite my wariness, there was something about the simple concept-art feel of the mountain man cum-Packers fan that made me warm to this bottle immediately.  Subsequent signs didn't disappoint either.

Smell: 
Three words:  Single Malt Scotch. The first drag off the mason jar (see above pic) was sweet and almost toffee-like.  Think Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich rather than the peaty end of the spectrum like Talisker.  Even Mrs. Beer, who's never been a big fan of the stuff, had to admit it was pretty special.   Robust and complex, similar to barley wine, my closest comparison would be Bell's Eccentric Ale.  I understand that the BWB is usually compared to bourbon, but being a Scotch person, I prefer that analogy.

Taste: 
Wow, it gets better.  Sweet, surprisingly (strong) vanilla but not overwhelming or syrupy.  At 10% I expected to taste that in the swallow but found nothing but smoothness. Rich, warm, and very drinkable, it paired well with BBQ but would also work with similarly hearty fare like chicken, cheese, potatoes, or even as an after dinner drink.  I'd pick something else if your dish of choice is vinegary or tart.
In Closing...:
As one of the 250 beers on my Beer Odyssey List, the BWB not only didn't disappoint me, it was one of the best I've tried this year.  I've always had a soft spot for Scotch ales and for pretty much anything produced by Founders Brewery and this was a fine example of both.  Highly recommended for a cold winter evening by the fire.


Rating: 4.5 Stars (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment